Nestled in a tranquil setting, the new library landscape and exterior emulate a whimsical cottage in the woods. Upon arrival at the site, the patron is comforted by the separation of pedestrian and vehicular traffic. The approach to the entrance is intentional to set the mood of reflection and enlightenment. The site was designed to transition from the adjacent commercial development to the more natural surroundings of the library.
St. Joseph County Public Library patrons enjoy the beautiful woodland library landscape as they move toward the building entrance. A secure courtyard garden provides an opportunity for patrons to interact with the outdoor environment. The courtyard is located to encourage use by both adults and children. The amenities within the courtyard include a human sundial, moongate, a walking path, and a gathering area for outdoor group activities.
- Integration of native plant materials
- Courtyard amenable to all patrons
- Building sited with sensitivity to the natural wooded setting
- Exterior environment reflective of building and interior design
- Analemmatic sundial in patio